Community service is a large part of scouting. Older scouts are required to participate and organize projects as part of their advancement to the higher ranks. When those are organized, the younger scouts participate as well.
Some examples of community service that Troop 284 has provided to the local community over the years include:
- park bench, pavers, and flower beds at Weckerle Park in Lindenhurst
- construction of a 12-foot by 12-foot gazebo at Tanner Park in Copiague
- installation of a 20-foot ball pit and a 50-foot KanJam game in Tanner Park
- development and construction of a professional sound area to operate the sound for shows and concerts in the North Babylon HS auditorium
- a safe yard at the Copiague Youth Council building for children to do their homework and other activities